Guidelines for Contributors
- Papers should be approximately 5000 words, and should
include photographs, maps, charts, etc.
- Papers must be in English. To provide for
consistency, please use American rather than British,
spellings. Use English rather than French or other
languages whenever possible (e.g., Old Regime, nobility).
If a French or other language term is necessary, please
provide an English translation in brackets or parenthesis
- All papers should be submitted in two forms.
- A printed copy on smooth paper using black ribbon
or printer. Do not use carbon copies, "erasable" or
"correctable" paper. This paper should be double
spaced, including blockquotes and notes, and have one
inch margins all around. Please be sure to maintain a
copy of your paper, as the copy you send us will not
- Every paper should be submitted on a standard 3.5
inch computer disk using either Microsoft Word 5.x or
6.x or WordPerfect 5.x or higher. You may submit in
either Macintosh or Windows formats. Please clearly
label your disk with the software and format
If you wish maps, graphs, charts, art, or other visual
material to appear with your paper, please arrange to
scan it onto your disk, or provide it to us to scan.
Please be sure to clearly indicate where such material
should appear in your paper. You must provide information
as to the source of any non-original graphic material,
and provide any necessary copyright releases.
Papers not submitted in accordance with this
requirement will not be considered for publication.
- Style: The Chicago Manual of Style (14th
Edition) should be followed. Please observe carefully the
- Use end notes rather than footnotes.
- Do not use Latin terms such as "op. Cit." Or "loc.
Cit." Use abbreviated references instead. If
additional references are in sequence, you may use
"ibid." Avoid "f" and "ff" and other unusual
- Do not underline Latin abbreviations.
- Dates should include day, month, and year (15
- Omit publisher's name and "p" or "pp" unless
absolutely necessary. Designate volume numbers with
Roman Numerals. Italicize, rather than underline, book
- Prior to final acceptance for publication, the author
must have provided a completed copyright release form to
the Editor-in-Chief. For preciously published papers, a
release from the original journal of publication must be
[ Scholarship 97 Index ]