Prussian Colonels-in-Chief 1792-1806: Hussar Regiments
Present at the Battle of Jena, Hussar Regiment ‘Gettkandt’ Number 1
later surrendered at Anklam on 01.11.1806.
15.09.1770: Czettritz und Neuhaus, Oberst [later General der Kavallerie]
Georg-Oswald Freiherr von (1728-1796)
Hussar Regiment ‘Rudorff’ Number 2 was attached to Saxe-Weimar’s Corps
in 1806. It surrendered at Ratekau on 07.11.1806.
01.03.1786: Eben und Brunnen, Oberst [later Generalleutnant] Karl-Adolf-August,
Freiherr von (1734-1800)
 This officer’s surname is sometimes mis-spelled ‘Groeckingk’.
This regiment also surrendered at Ratekau.
23.05.1788: Kohler, Oberst [later General der Kavallerie] Georg-Ludwig-Egidius
 One source says Hussar Regiment ‘Pletz’ Number 3 was split between Saxe-Weimar’s and Ruchel’s commands in 1806.
Hussar Regiment ‘Wurttemberg’ Number 4 was one of only two Prussian
hussar regiments present at the Battle of Auerstadt. It was joined with
Hussar Regiment Number 8 to form Blucher’s cavalry brigade in the Advanced
1781 16.03: Wurttemberg-Stuttgart, Oberst [later General der Kavallerie]
Eugen-Friedrich-Heinrich, Duke of (1758-1822)
 Lediwary was awarded the ‘Pour le Merite’ in 1791.
This regiment was reorganized after 1806 into the ‘Leib-Husaren-Regiment’
(also known informally as the ‘Black Hussars’). It subsequently fought
at Eylau and Heilsberg in 1807.
23.05.1788: Goeckingk, Oberst [later General der Kavallerie] Eberhard-Siegmund-Gunther,
Freiherr von (1738-1813)
Hussar Regiment ‘Schimmelfinnig von der Oye’ Number 6 was attached
to Hohelohe’s command in 1806. At the Battle of Jena, it was deployed
in a mixed Prussian-Saxon cavalry brigade under Generalmajor Senfft
von Pilsach, a Saxon officer.
29.12.1791: Wolffradt, Oberst [later Generalleutnant] Erich-Magnus
von (1735-1799) 
 Wolffradt was awarded the ‘Pour le Merite’ in 1761.
Attached to Ruchel’s Corps in 1806, this regiment later surrendered
27.12.1775: Usedom, Oberst [later Generalleutnant] Adolf-Detlev von
 Trenck was awarded the ‘Pour le Merite’ in 1778.
Hussar Regiment ‘Blucher’ Number 8 was attached to Prussia’s main army
in 1806. Commanded by their colonel-in-chief at the Battle of Auerstadt,
this unit later surrendered at Ratekau.
06.07.1787: Goltz, Oberst [later Generalmajor] Johann-Wilhelm, Graf
von der (1737-1797)
The sole lancer regiment in the 1806 Prussian Army was the Towarczys
Regiment, a ‘foreign’ unit raised from Prussia’s Polish territories.
In 1806, it was attached to L’Estocq’s [eastern] corps.
The 10-squadron regiment – formed in 1800 from the ‘Bosniaken’ Regiment
– was disbanded in 1807. The released men were later formed into Uhlan
Regiment Number 2 (and, in part, Uhlan Regiment Number 1).
A similarly-named lancer battalion (of five squadrons) was commanded
by Major [later Oberstleutnant] Schimmelpfinnig von der Oye from 1800
03.02.1788: Gunther, Oberst [later Generalleutnant] Heinrich-Johann,
Freiherr von (1736-1803) 
 In some sources, this regiment is not listed with the hussar regiments
but rather as a separate lancer unit.
Hussar Regiment ‘Usedom’ Number 10 fought under the Duke of Wurttemberg
at the Battle of Halle (17.10.1806).
23.03.1787: Wolky, Generalmajor [later Generalleutnant] Friedrich-Gideon
Information on this unit indicates Generalmajor von Bila was its colonel-in-chief
during the 1806 Campaign. Attached to Oberst von Boguslawski’s ‘Light
Brigade’ at Jena, this five-squadron unit is often referred to in sources
as a ‘battalion’.
Sass, Generalleutnant Gerhard-Alexander, Freiherr von (1718-1790)
Placed on the Napoleon Series: November 2005
© Copyright 1995-2005, The Napoleon Series, All Rights Reserved.