The Soldiers of Hesse Nassau: Table of contents
Translated by Greg Gorsuch
TABLE OF CONTENTS
SOURCES CONSULTED: V
THE POLICY OF THE LANDGRAVE OF HESSE-DARMSTADT BEFORE ITS ENTRY INTO THE CONFEDERATION OF THE RHINE: 9
THE TROOPS OF DARMSTADT AND NASSAU: 19
CAMPAIGN OF 1806-1807 AGAINST PRUSSIA AND SWEDEN.
- The mobilization of the contingents of the Rhine. Jena: 27
- Operations in Pomerania. Sieges of Graudenz, Colberg and Stralsund: 36
CAMPAIGN OF 1809 AGAINST AUSTRIA.
- The 1st Regiment of infantry from Nassau to the Rouyer Division: 55
- The Hessians in the 4th Corps. Essling, Engerau, Raab, Wagram and Znaïm: 60
- The light horse of the Hessian Guard in the Marulaz Division. Battles of Neumarkt. Battle of Essling and Wagram. Combat of Stockerau: 77
THE HESSIANS IN THE CAMPAIGN AGAINST RUSSIA IN 1812.
- The preparatory marches: 91
- From Niemen to Moscow: 96
- Retreat. The Hessian infantry at Krasnoi and Berezina. Arrival in Vilna: 98
- The fusiliers and artillery of Hesse with General von Wrede. Fights of Wileyka, Słowodka and Vilna: 102
- End of the retreat. Murat’s review at Wirballen. The Provisional Battalion: 106
- The odyssey of the Darmstadt light horses in 1812. Lukomlia, Batury, the Berezina: 109
THE HESSIAN CONTINGENT IN THE CAMPAIGN OF 1813.
- Formation of the contingent. Battles of Lützen and Bautzen: 119
- The armistice. The march on Berlin; fight of Zahna fight; Battle of Jüterbogk: 130
- Macdonald’s Command: 136
- Battle of Leipzig: 139
- The defense of Torgau: 146
WAR IN SPAIN: 151
- 1808. General situation of the Peninsula in August 1808. Formation of a German Division for the Army of Spain. The 2nd Infantry Regiment of Nassau, a squadron of mounted chasseurs from same nation, the Hessian “Crown Prince” Regiment and a half-battery of Darmstadt horse artillery enter this division, with the 4th Army Corps (Marshal Lefebvre). Combats of Zornosa, Durango, Balmaseda. Occupation of Madrid: 153
- 1809. The German Division passes to the 1st Corps, under the orders of Marshal Victor. Expedition in Estremadura. Combats of Mesa-de-Ibor and Valdecañas. The great victories; Medellin, Talavera, Almonacid, Ocaña. Escorting Spanish prisoners into Bayonne: 165
- 1810-1811. The partisan war against the guerrillas. Feat of arms the Chasseurs à Cheval of Nassau: 203
- 1812. The Darmstadt contingent in the defense of Badajoz. Loss of the town. The Hessians are taken prisoners to England: 221
- 1812-1813. The Nassau contingent to the Army of the Center. The D’Armagnac Division. Evacuation of Madrid. Meeting in Valence with the armies of Aragon and the South. Return to Madrid. Retirement of the army. Battle of Vitoria. Combats on the Bidasoa and the Nivelle. Defection of the Nassau 2nd Regiment; it is transported to England; its shipwreck on the coast of Holland: 234
- The 1st Infantry Regiment from Nassau to the Army of Catalonia (1810-1813). The Manresa expedition. The Barcelona garrison. Disarmament of the regiment and the Chasseurs à Cheval of Nassau in 1813: 254
THE UNIFORMS OF THE CONTINGENTS OF HESSE AND NASAU FROM 1806 TO 1813.
Hesse: Infantry, light-horse, artillery: 286
Nassau: Infantry and chasseurs à cheval: 292
ICONOGRAPHIC SOURCES TO CONSULT ON THE UNIFORMS OF THE HESSE AND NASSAUCONTINGENTS: 297
OFFICERS OF THE QUOTAS OF HESSE-DARMSTADT AND OF NASSAU KILLED OR INJURED IN THE SERVICE OF FRANCE DURING THE WARS OF THE FIRST EMPIRE: 303